Benefits of Spay/Neuter
Animals that are spayed or neutered live longer, healthier lives. The spaying and neutering of companion animals can reduce the incidence of sex-hormone related diseases.
The benefits of spaying and neutering include:
- No heat cycles which means you will have a cleaner, quieter animal and home
- Less desire to roam, which means your dog or cat will be less likely to be injured in fights or auto accidents
- Risk of mammary glad tumors and prostate disease is greatly reduced, especially if the surgery is performed while the animal is young
- Risk of ovarian, uterine, and testicular cancer is eliminated
- Reduces number of unwanted cats, kittens, dogs, and puppies
- The neutered male cat has a decreased urine odor
- Spaying or neutering your pet will not cause it to become fat and lazy, rather Weight gain is due to being fed more calories than the animal uses.
Please don’t litter! Fix your critter!
Every year, over 19,000 unwanted dogs, cats, puppies and kittens die in Pima county shelters. In the same time period, more than 15 million dogs and cats are killed in the US because of overpopulation. You can help us end this tragedy. Please be a responsible pet guardian and ensure that your companion animals are spayed or neutered now.
- If you need help with spaying or neutering your companion, please contact AWASA, Spay Neuter Solutions or Animal League of Green Valely for Pima County Spay Neuter assistance.
- Many humane groups participate in Spay Day USA events in the month of February and offer reduced cost surgeries.